Experiencing non violent relationship breakdown

Housing rights in a relationship breakdown can be complicated and you may need to seek legal advice.

If you have a joint tenancy or own a property with your ex-partner you may still have rights to occupy the place you are living in together.

You may have rights to remain in the property even if you do not have a joint tenancy or own the property jointly. This may be the case if you have dependents living in the property.

If you are living in social housing, it is very unlikely that your landlord will get involved with the details of who can remain in the property because this matter is guided by Matrimonial Homes and Children’s Act legislation.

It is important that you seek legal advice before leaving the property.

Where to go for housing help and advice

You are advised to seek legal advice. Many law firms offer fixed fee interviews where you receive comprehensive advice on your legal rights to remain in the property and how the matter can be resolved longer term.

Shelter has produced a guide for people who have experienced a relationship breakdown and what their housing rights are after splitting up. Alternatively, call Citizens Advice Woking on 01483 725 192.

Help available from us if a court determines you have to leave your home

If you apply to us for housing assistance because you are homeless through relationship breakdown, we may not necessarily be legally obliged to provide you with any accommodation.

However, we have a duty to assess the circumstances of your homelessness, identify your housing and support needs and work with you to prevent your homelessness or support you find somewhere to live.

We will provide you with a Personal Housing Plan which will explain where we can assist and what you can do to help yourself. This might include actions such as attending appointments with Job Centre Plus or visiting letting agents to secure alternative accommodation.