Other financial benefits, allowances and payments

Every year, millions of UK households miss out on benefits they are eligible for, up to the value of £15 billion. Even if you are in full time employment, you may be entitled to benefits. 

Find out if you can apply for benefits

Housing benefit

Housing benefit is a national welfare benefit administered by local councils. It is designed to help people on low incomes in rented accommodation. 

How much you get will depend on your income and capital (money held in bank accounts, investments and properties held in your name), plus your partner's if you have one. It will also depend on who else lives with you and what their ages and incomes are.

Find out if you can apply for housing benefit

Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions

There are a number of Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions available for those who meet certain criteria, including those who live alone, those with a disability and those on low income. 

Find out if you're eligible for Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions

Discretionary housing payments

If you are on certain benefits you may be eligible for discretionary housing payments which provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs.

Check if you’re eligible for a discretionary housing payment

Other financial allowances and payments

There are also a number of allowances and payments you may be eligible for depending on your personal circumstances:

  • If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week, you could be eligible for carer’s allowance
  • If you are a home-owner, you might be eligible for help towards paying interest payments on mortgages and house loans through support for mortgage interest
  • If you have a disability that requires someone to look after you, you could be eligible for attendance allowance
  • If you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work, you could be eligible for employment and support allowance

Help for residents with disabilities

As well as carer’s allowance and attendance allowance, there are many alternative routes through which you can receive financial support as someone with a disability. Citizens Advice can help you identify your financial support options.

Check what benefits to claim if you’re sick or disabled

The government offers a range of disability-related benefits, grants and concessions.

Find out what financial help is available if you're disabled

If you are raising a child with disabilities, Family Fund can help you to understand what financial support you are eligible for and offer a range of grants.

Find out what financial help is available if you have a child with disabilities

Home upgrade grant phase 2 (HUG2)

Over £12 million of grant funding is now available for Surrey residents whose homes are not heated by gas, to make their homes more energy efficient and environmentally friendly.

Residents living in hard to heat homes and on lower incomes could receive up to £38,000 to fund measures that; improve a range of insulation including wall, loft and underfloor; install solar PV, solar thermal and air source heat pumps and ensure ventilation meets the industry standards.

Eligible properties must have an EPC rating of D to G, the primary form of heating must not be mains gas and applicants will need to meet the financial eligibility criteria. Funding is limited and will be on a first-come, first-served basis.

Residents can check if they are eligible by visiting the Action Surrey website or phoning 0800 783 2503.