Debt advice and money management
Organisations offering helpful debt advice online or over phone include:
- MoneyHelper is a government-backed website providing free and impartial help with managing money.
- Citizens Advice, using online chat from Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm, or call 0800 144 8848 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- National Debtline, using webchat or call 0808 808 4000 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm, and Saturday, 9.30am to 1pm.
- StepChange Debt Charity, using their online advice service, available 24 hours a day, or call 0800 138 1111 from Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, and Saturday, 8am to 4pm.
- Christians Against Poverty, offers free debt counselling from their friendly team. They also offer free training sessions including their money course. This three-session course will help you learn how to budget, save and spend, whilst avoiding debt. Delegates receive a free lunch when attending a course. The next training session begins in January 2023. Pre-booking required. Call 07968 697156 or visit the Christians Against Poverty website.
- Stop Loan Sharks investigates and prosecutes illegal money lenders and provides support for borrowers in the UK. If you have borrowed from a loan shark or are worried about someone else, Stop Loan Sharks can help and keep you safe.
Loans from credit unions are much cheaper, safe and easy to access, and there are no hidden charges or penalties. Woking's local credit union is Boom Community Bank.
Boom Community Bank is like a high street bank in that it lends to borrowers, looks after money for savers and provides current accounts; however, it does not operate to make a profit. Boom’s purpose is to help its customers build financial resilience by providing accessible financial services with an emphasis on regular savings, even for those who borrow.
Boom Community Bank pledges fair, transparent loan pricing and is committed to responsible lending principles. Visit Boom’s website for more information on loans, savings, and current accounts.
For more information, visit the Boom Community Bank website, phone 01903 237 221 or email email@example.com
Mental health and money
- Surrey County Council’s Breathing Space helps those experiencing mental health problems to get a temporary break from debt pressures.
- The charity Mind has a money and mental health section on its website, which includes advice on how to manage debt.
- Mental Health and Money Advice offers information and advice for anyone struggling with money because of mental illness, or whose financial situation is affecting their mental health.