The Civic Offices are open for essential appointments

The Civic Offices have reopened to the public for essential and pre-booked appointments only. For more information on how to access council services and contact us, click the link below.

Find out more

Self-isolation support payment

It is a legal requirement for people to self-isolate when instructed to by  NHS Test and Trace.

If you have been told by NHS Test and Trace to stay at home and self-isolate, you may be entitled to a one-off support payment of £500.

From 8th March 2021, parents or guardians who are not legally required to self isolate can apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment or discretionary payment if they need to take time off work to care for a child or young person who is isolating and will lose income.

If you're on a low income this could help you to self-isolate without having to worry about your finances.

If you’re employed, you’ll pay tax on your payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax. You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment. If you’re self-employed, you must report the payment on your Self-Assessment tax return.

Who can apply for the support payment

To apply for this payment, you must live in Woking Borough and meet all five of the following criteria.

  1. You have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because you've tested positive for coronavirus or you've recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.
  2. You are employed or self-employed.
  3. You cannot work from home.
  4. You will lose income if you have to self-isolate.
  5. You are claiming at least one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credits
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit

If you are eligible you can make a claim up to 42 days after your first day of isolation.

Who cannot apply for the support payment

You cannot apply for the payment if:

  • You are quarantining after travelling abroad, unless you have tested positive for coronavirus or have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.
  • You receive your full wage while you self-isolate.
  • You can work from home whilst you self-isolate.
  • You are no longer required to self-isolate.
  • You have not received a notification from the NHS Test and Trace service telling you to self-isolate.
  • You were told to self-isolate before 28 September, even if the self-isolation continues after 28 September.

Frequently asked questions about the support payment

Can members of the same household apply for the payment?

People in the same household can make individual applications to receive the payment if they each meet the eligibility criteria.

Can I apply on behalf of someone else?

You can help someone else fill out an application, or you can fill out an application on their behalf.

Payment will only be made into a bank account in the name of the person for whom the application is being made.

What do I do if my bank account is overdrawn?

If you are eligible for the £500 support payment, you can tell your bank that the payment you receive should only be used to pay certain items. For example utility bills, rent or mortgage, and that it is not to be used to repay your overdraft. This protection is called a 'first right of appropriation of funds order'.

As soon as your payment has been approved, write to your bank making it clear what you want your support payment to be used for.

Fraudulent claims

We will not accept deliberate manipulation and fraud in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate and put others at risk. Anyone caught falsifying their application to gain payment will face prosecution and any funding issued will be recovered.


If you require assistance completing the online form, please call 01483 755 855 and ask for the Benefits Team.

How to apply online

Apply for the self-isolation support payment