We have introduced a policy which requires all hackney carriage and private hire vehicles to meet ultra low emissions vehicle (ULEV) specifications, which will take effect from 31 March 2021 for licensed saloon vehicles and later for wheelchair accessible vehicles.
Currently, a ULEV vehicle is classed as a vehicle which has less than 75 grams of CO2 per kilometre (g/km) from its exhaust pipe.
Please note: as and when the Vehicle Certification Agency replace the required (g/km) level, the policy will match the latest national requirements.
How the ULEV policy affects licensed drivers
If you currently own a licensed saloon hackney vehicle
- You can continue using your non ULEV saloon Hackney until the 31 of March 2021.
- You must replace your saloon vehicle with a ULEV or electric saloon vehicle. This means it must have less than 75 g/km of CO2.
If you currently own a licensed wheelchair accessible taxi
- Licensed non ULEV wheelchair accessible taxis can remain in use until the vehicle reaches 15 years old.
- From the 31 March 2026, all wheelchair accessible taxis are required to become ULEV or electric.
- You will be required to replace your non ULEV wheelchair accessible taxi with a ULEV vehicle (wheelchair accessible or saloon) by 31 March 2026, or when the vehicle reaches 15 years old – whichever date is soonest.
Currently, the £190 vehicle licensing fee for wheelchair accessible vehicles has been temporarily suspended.
Check a vehicle’s CO2 emissions
A quick and easy way to check a vehicle’s CO2 emissions is online.