Temporary gambling notices

It is an offence to provide facilities for gambling unless the required permissions are in place, or an exemption applies. 

Temporary use notices (TUNs)

One such exemption is for the holder of an operating licence to send a temporary use notice (TUN) to our licensing team. 

This is not a permanent arrangement, but allows premises such as hotels, conference centres or sporting venues to be used temporarily for providing facilities for gambling.  A TUN may also apply to a vessel, whether moored or moving. TUNs are often, but not exclusively, used to run poker tournaments. 

Occasional use notices (OUNs)

In accordance with Section 39 of the Gambling Act 2005, occasional use notices (OUNs) allow betting to take place on a track without a premises licence provided that it takes place on eight days or less in a calendar year. There is no requirement for a full premises licence to be in place.

An OUN must be served by a person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track or by an occupier of the track.

How to apply

Please contact us if you would like to apply for a temporary use notice (TUN) or occasional use notice (OUN).

Email: licensing@woking.gov.uk
Phone: 01483 755 855