Council tenants: frequently asked questions

Repairs to your council home

What is an emergency repair?

Examples of emergency repairs include:

  • situations where there is immediate danger to life
  • major and/or structural damage
  • uncontainable leaks or flooding
  • no power or water to property
  • exposed electrical wires
  • unsecure external doors and/or windows
  • tenant locked out 
  • no heating and/or hot water 
  • fault to only form of bathing 
  • non-functioning toilet.

In the case of emergency repairs where we cannot complete all works in one appointment, we may have to return to your property to complete the repair fully and tidy any cosmetic damage. 

For example, if a window pane is reported to us as broken our first response may be to restore security to the property by boarding up the window. We would then book a second appointment to replace the glass. The new target time might not constitute an emergency repair and would be subject to the timescales above.

What is an urgent repair?

Examples of urgent repairs include:

  • health and safety risks
  • no heating and/or hot water
  • fault to only form of bathing 
  • blocked or upsurging drains
  • boarding up broken glazing
  • communal lighting repairs
  • collapsed ceilings and floors.

In addition to the examples above, if you are a resident in sheltered housing, extra care housing or a bungalow, urgent repairs also include:

  • locks
  • replacement light bulbs 
  • beeping smoke/heat/carbon monoxide detectors.

What appointment slots do you offer?

A range of appointment slots are available between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday and 8.30am to 1pm Saturday morning depending on the type of works required.

How will I know that you have arranged my repair?

You will receive a job number and repair appointment date and slot when you first contact our repairs team. 

We aim to book all appointments at the first point of contact, however if this is not possible, we will contact you as soon an appointment can be made. A text message will also be sent to your mobile phone the day before your appointment is due as a reminder.

Who will carry out my repair?

Our repairs contractor is Mountjoy Limited, who will undertake most repairs. However, certain works (mostly in communal areas) will require a specialist. We have a wide variety of specialist partners that deliver these repairs on our behalf. 

All contractor working on our behalf will carry an identification card, will arrive in branded vehicles and uniforms. You should always ask to see this before you let anybody into your home. If you are in any doubt, please contact us immediately.

What happens if I am not at home when the contractor calls?

If you are out when our contractor calls, they will leave a card advising you they have visited. Please call our repairs team on 0300 373 0373 (choose option one) to book a new appointment. Our repairs team will also try to contact you, but we cannot get in touch, your repair may be cancelled.

In extreme emergencies, such as flooding, we may need to gain entry to your home without giving you notice. We will only do this if it is necessary to prevent serious damage to your home or any neighbouring properties.

What happens when my repair is complete?

When your repair is complete, we will show you the completed works and confirm that you are happy with the work. 

After the appointment we may get in touch asking you to complete a satisfaction survey about your repair. Please complete this survey, as it helps us improve our service.

If you are dissatisfied with the works completed, you can contact our repairs team on 0300 373 0373 (choose option 4) or speak to our housing management team by choosing option one instead.