Set up a Council Tax payment arrangement

About Council Tax payment arrangements

If you’re finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax, you’re not alone. We encourage you to contact us and we will do our best to help you. 

We may be able to recalculate or extend your monthly instalments if you request a payment arrangement. This includes amounts owed from previous billing years. 

If you owe money from a previous billing year, you are also required to pay your current Council Tax instalments.

If you choose to do nothing, we will start the debt recovery process which may mean you have to pay additional costs.

When you can request a payment arrangement

You can ask us to consider a payment arrangement if you:

A payment plan will not be agreed if the amount owed has moved to one of the following recovery actions:

How to apply for a payment arrangement

To complete the payment arrangement application form, you will need the following information available to you:

  • Council Tax reference number (shown in the top right-hand corner of your bill or view you bill online)  
  • property address 
  • your name and contact address (if different to the Council Tax property) 
  • phone number or email address 
  • your National Insurance number (where applicable)
  • employment details including payroll number, or business name if self-employed (where applicable) 
  • benefit details (if you receive benefit) 
  • bank details (if you are paying by direct debit) 
  • start date for payments (this must be within the next 30 days)

Apply for a Council Tax payment arrangement 

Contact us 

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online form which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Contact us online