The Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations, adopted in August 2014, place a requirement on councils to publish reports on decisions taken under authority delegated to officers or councillors where the effect of the decision is to:
- grant a permission or license
- affect the rights of an individual
- award a contract or incur expenditure which in either case, materially affects the council's financial position.
The regulations require an officer making an executive decision, under delegated powers, to produce a written statement which includes:
- a record of the decision including the date it was made
- a record of the reasons for the decision
- details of any alternative options considered and rejected by the officer
- a record of any conflict of interest declared by any officer or councillor (and any dispensation granted in respect of such conflict).