Nominations are now open for the Young People’s Civic Awards Scheme 2020, which aims to promote and reward community spirit in young people.
The scheme, run by Woking Borough Council, recognises children and young people who have achieved exceptional success, in areas that are not normally recognised by formal accreditation.
Nominees are being sought in the following three categories.
- Outstanding Contribution to the Community – covers work in areas such as helping older or those with a disability, working with children, fundraising for good causes and volunteering.
- Triumph Over Adversity – covers endurance and bravery, such as overcoming a disability or helping a parent or family member with a disability.
- Outstanding Achievement – covers excellence in many fields; sport, music, drama, visual arts, particularly in less academic subjects that are not normally recognised or rewarded.
Speaking about the initiative, the Mayor of Woking, Cllr Beryl Hunwicks, said: “The Young People’s Civic Award Scheme is a fantastic way to showcase the remarkable work and dedication shown by young people within our community. Whether you know a child or young person who supports a parent with a disability, has overcome adversity or excelled against the odds at school, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to nominate that deserving young person for one of these special awards.”
The scheme is open to all children and young people, up to the age of 18, who live or attend school or college in the Borough. All nominations are judged by a panel, which typically includes representatives from the Local Education Authority, Surrey Police, the voluntary sector, Sport Woking, Woking Borough Council and Woking Youth Council.
The 2019 award winners were:
- Outstanding Contribution to the Community - Kye Jarred
- Triumph Over Adversity - Grace Campbell
- Outstanding Achievement - Jaylen Simons.
All young people nominated for an award will receive a certificate acknowledging their achievement. The winners will be invited to attend the Mayor’s Civic Reception to be held on Friday 24 April 2020.
The deadline for nominations is Friday 24 January 2020.
Application forms, along with more information about the scheme, are available by visiting www.woking.gov.uk/youngcivicawardscheme
Alternatively, please call Julie Northcote, Democratic Services Officer on 01483 743053 or email firstname.lastname@example.org