UPDATE: The national restrictions end on 2 December 2020. As part of these restrictions, some businesses were legally forced to close between 5 November and 2 December 2020.
Applications from eligible businesses for the Local Restrictions Support Grant scheme will close on 16 December 2020.
At the end of October, the Government announced new national restrictions in England from 5 November.
To reduce social contact, the Government has ordered certain businesses and venues to close or restrict how goods and services are provided. These businesses include non-essential retail, leisure, personal care, sports facilities and hospitality businesses.
The following grants are available to businesses in England that have been forced to close due to the new national restrictions.
Local restrictions support grant scheme
The local restrictions support grant scheme is open to business rated properties that were open and trading, but have been legally forced to close from 5 November 2020.
To be eligible for this grant, your business must be located within the borough of Woking and it has been:
- open as usual before the restrictions - on and before Wednesday 4 November 2020
- required to close due to restrictions imposed by the Government
- paying business rates for the premises before restrictions started.
Your business will not qualify for support under this scheme if it was in administration, insolvent or a striking off order was made at the time local restrictions started.
The grant criteria for eligible businesses is as follows:
- Businesses occupying properties which appear on the local business rating list with a rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under, on the date of the commencement of the widespread national restrictions, will receive a payment of £1,334 per 28 day qualifying restriction period.
- Businesses occupying properties which appear on the local business rating list with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, on the date of the commencement of the widespread national restrictions, will receive a payment of £2,000 per 28 day qualifying restriction period.
- Businesses properties which appear on the local business rating list with a rateable value of exactly £51,000 or above, on the commencement date of the widespread national restrictions, will receive a payment of £3,000 per 28 day qualifying restriction period.
How to apply
Discretionary grant scheme
A second business support grant scheme funded by the Government will be available via a discretionary grant scheme.
The Government is encouraging these funds to be used to support business which have been legally asked to close due to the current restrictions, but which do not fall under the business rates system. The funds will be issued to us as a one-off lump sum payment to run across financial years 2020 to 2021 and 2021 to 2022.
We are working to identify which types of businesses will be prioritised for the discretionary grant. Once the scheme is open to applications, we will post an update on this website and promote via social media and other communication channels.
Keep up to date
We also keep local businesses up to date about grants, other support and resources via our Woking Works business enewsletter.