Alcohol, gambling and other licences privacy notice

Use of your personal data

In order to issue alcohol, gambling and other types of licences, we (Woking Borough Council) collect, store and share personal data about you and other people involved in your application.

We will use the personal data you are providing to:

  • Process applications for alcohol, gambling and other types of licences
  • Process transfers of and variations to licences
  • Consider the suspension or revocation of licenses
  • Process refunds if there is an overpayment
  • Keep our licensing records up to date

We will not use it for any other purposes unless the law allows us to do so.

If you choose not to provide the personal data we are asking for we may not be able to carry these functions out, including granting you a licence.

In order to provide these services, the personal data you are providing might be shared with:

  • Your agent, if you apply through one
  • The local Trading Standards body
  • The Disclosure and Barring Service
  • Medical professionals, including an independent medical adviser
  • HM Revenues & Customs and the Gambling Commission, if you are applying for a licence related to gambling
  • The emergency services, if necessary
  • Other neighbouring local authorities and Surrey County Council
  • Elected Members of the Council
  • Depending on the way in which you apply, the UK Government’s website (Gov.UK), which hosts the computer system for applications for some types of licences
  • Capita, who host the computer system through which we take payments
  • Idox and Iken, who host the computer systems we use to administer Licensing work

In order to issue a licence, we are legally required to enter a limited amount of personal data on a public register, including your name, licence numbers and dates of validity.

We will not share the personal data you are providing with any other organisations unless the law allows us to do so.

We will hold your personal data for no longer than 13 years after your last licence expires or is revoked. You can contact us to ask us to access or to rectify the personal data we have about you or to object to the processing of it.