Neighbour disputes

Building regulations cannot be used to resolve issues around:

  • boundary disputes
  • damaged caused to a property by building work
  • access issues for maintenance
  • The Party Wall Act.

These issues are covered by Civil Law.

For free advice consult Citizens Advice or seek legal advice.


As an alternative to contacting us or taking your own action, you may wish to consider contacting Mediation Surrey(link is external).


Phone: 03301 340 260

Mediation is a way of dealing with neighbour disputes which enables those involved to reach a compromise that both parties are satisfied with. The mediators will arrange a meeting to find out what the problem is about and discuss the options available. This service is free and can avoid you having to go to court.

Other issues

Health and Safety issues regarding unsafe working practices should be referred to the Health and Safety Executive.

Excessive or out of hours construction noise and dust issues can be reported to the council.

Report neighbourhood nuisance or noise