His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh

The Mayor, Members and Officers of Woking Borough Council are deeply saddened at the news of the death of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh. Our thoughts are with the Royal Family at this time.

Find out more

Apply for building regulations

Service update: Applications are still being accepted online.

When applying, please include your email address and contact number so we can respond to you via email.

Please do not send paper applications until further notice.

If you need help completing the online application process, please request help by email. Email: building.control@woking.gov.uk 

These changes are in response to the Government's Coronavirus (COVID-19) social distancing and essential services only requirements. In line with national policy, we have adjusted our normal working practices and service delivery until further notice. The majority of our services remain operational and we are prioritising vulnerable residents.

View an overview of our council service updates

Before you start work

It is illegal to start work without notifying us first. You might have to correct the work or pay a fine if you do not tell us about it.

You will also need a certificate of compliance if you want to sell your home. If you don’t obtain a completion certificate it may void the insurance policy on the property. It is strongly advised you check this with your insurer.

You can apply for building regulations approval online via the Planning Portal building control application service or download the relevant application form below.

Apply for a building notice

For minor work on single family houses such as garage conversions, and extensions. You don't need to submit any plans but you must be confident that the work being done will comply with building regulations. You risk having to fix any issues after we have inspected if it is not correct.

Download application form

See applicable fees

Building notice applications for urgent work

If your works are urgent and straightforward, such as inserting a steel beam, removing a chimney breast or building a small single storey extension, we can complete a building notice application form over the phone.

To complete your application over the phone, you will need have any structural calculations and your credit card to hand.

Phone our business support team on 01483 743 659, 9am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Once payment has been processed, we will arrange an inspection date. Subject to availability, this can be the next day if necessary. We will then email or post an acknowledgement letter, including your payment receipt, to you.

Apply for full plans submission

Submit detailed plans of the work you are doing, this method gives you the most protection.

Download application form

See applicable fees 

Already started work? Apply for a Regularisation Certificate

If you started or completed work without getting building regulations approval you must now apply (there will be a charge).  We'll check whether it meets the building regulations standards and issue you a certificate if it has. If it doesn't meet standards you might have to correct the work or pay a fine.

Download application form

See applicable fees 

Apply by phone

If you are unsure how to complete an application form or short of time, we can do this on your behalf over the phone. Please contact us on 01483 743 841, 9am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Partner builder

Experienced local builders who frequently use our service require less building control supervision or re-inspection. To reflect this reduced level of control we offer them a 25% reduction on our standard fee rate. 

Find out more about our partner builders