Insuring your home

There are two types of insurance that should be considered in relation to your home.

Buildings insurance

We insure your building against damage. This insurance covers the building structure and items such as your kitchen and bathroom. 
It does not cover any of your personal belongings or furnishings such curtains or carpets.

Contents insurance

We do not insure the contents of your home. It is your responsibility to find and buy suitable contents insurance for your household items and belongings.

Contents insurance protects all items within your home not covered by the buildings insurance policy. Items generally covered by contents insurance includes: 

  • carpets or floor coverings
  • furniture
  • curtains
  • clothing
  • kitchen appliances
  • other valuables. 

The purchase of contents insurance is optional but advisable.

Arranging contents insurance can give you peace of mind if something should happen to your belongings. If there is a fire, flood, storm damage or burglary, we will repair any damage to the property, but we will not cover the costs of replacing any of your furniture or belongings.

Types of standard contents insurance

  • Indemnity policy. This is the cheaper option for contents insurance. It takes into account the amount of wear and tear for each item. For example, if you damage or ruin a carpet which is 10 years old, the insurance company will pay you an amount which reflects its age.
  • New for old policy. This is usually the more costly option. This type of insurance cover helps you to replace items that have been damaged, lost or stolen with brand new products of equivalent value. So, if you damage or ruin a 10 year old carpet, you will receive a payment for the equivalent value of a new carpet. 

How much contents insurance do you need?

Don’t underestimate the value of your contents – it all adds up. 

For each room in your home, make a list of the items you want to insure and write down the cost of each. Don’t forget items such as bikes and lawnmowers which are kept outside or in outbuildings. 

Once you’ve made your list, add up the total cost and choose the right cover according to the value.