Have your say on the council's future priorities

Residents are invited to help us decide where to focus our resources over the next five years. Take part by attending one of our roadshows being held across the borough.

Find out more

Downsizing incentives

If your council property is larger than your current and long-term needs, we encourage you to move to a smaller property. By doing so, you will be offered a range of incentives, including a lump sum payment.

If you volunteer to downsize, you will:

  • be placed in band B
  • be given an incentive grant (according to how many bedrooms you are giving up)
  • have your removal costs paid by us.

Housing association tenants who apply to the housing register to downsize will be placed in band B, but will not receive an incentive grant or removal costs.

Downsize incentive grants

 Property size moving to
Property size vacating2 bed1 bedStudio
4 or 5 bedroom£750£1,250£2,250
3 bedroom£500£1,000£1,750
2 bedroomn/a£1,000£1,750


Email: housingneeds@woking.gov.uk

Phone: 01483 755 855