A fixed penalty notice (FPN) is served by an authorised enforcement officer to a person who has committed a criminal offence. They may be issued on the spot or through the post. They can be used for:
- dropping litter
- dog fouling
- smoking in a smoke free area.
How to pay
You cannot pay an enforcement officer directly when you have been issued a notice and you cannot pay it in instalments.
How we issue the fixed penalty notices
- We work in partnership with Kingdom Security who provide uniformed environmental enforcement officers across the borough with a primary remit for the town centre, parks and open spaces.
- We do not give warnings before issuing an fixed penalty notice.
- We are not required to put up signs telling you to comply with the law.
- We are not required to provide litter bins everywhere.
- Dropping cigarette butts or chewing gum is a littering offence.
- Even if you volunteer to pick up the litter you've dropped you can still expect a fixed penalty notice.
Challenge a fixed penalty notice
If you want to submit reasons why you think the fixed penalty notice should not have been issued, or you are struggling financially and want extra time to pay, contact us within 14 days from the date of the notice using our online form.
What happens if I don't pay?
If you don’t pay and the offence is tried in court, it may result in a criminal conviction with a bigger charge and a criminal record.
Please note that it is an offence to fail to give your name or give a false address to an authorised officer when asked and you could be prosecuted for failing to give these details.
- Littering: £100 payable within 14 days of issue reduced to £50 if paid within 10 days.
- Smoking: £50 payable within 29 days of issue reduced to £30 if paid within 15 days.
- Dog fouling: £50 payable no early payment discount.
If you commit an offence related to smoking you may be invited to take part in a smoking cessation course called Quit 51. Sign up and stop smoking for four weeks and you could get £50 in Boots vouchers as a reward.