Apply for a permanent proxy vote

In the case of a medical emergency, your photo ID becomes unavailable or if your occupation, service or employment means that you cannot attend the polling station, electors can now apply for an emergency proxy vote. The emergency situation must have occurred after 5pm, six working days before the election.

In order to obtain a permanent or long-term proxy vote, our electoral registration officers should be satisfied that the person requesting it cannot be reasonably expected to vote in person at any elections.

Reasons for applying for a permanent proxy vote

You can apply for a permanent or long-term proxy vote if:

  • you have a permanent physical incapacity, are registered blind, or receive the higher rate of mobility component of the disability living allowance
  • your work frequently takes you away from home.

Conditions accepted for a permanent proxy vote

Requests for a permanent or long-term proxy vote can be made under the following categories of circumstances if:

  • you are registered blind
  • you receive a mobility allowance
  • you suffer from a physical incapacity
  • you are in a residential care home or sheltered accommodation
  • you are attending an educational course in connection with your employment
  • you are self employed
  • a journey by sea or air will be necessary to get to a polling station, for example, you are on holiday or away on business

You can apply for a permanent or long-term proxy vote online via the GOV.UK website.

How to apply for a permanent proxy vote

You will need to provide your National Insurance number to verify your identity.

If you do not have a National Insurance number, or it cannot be verified, you will need to provide supporting documentation.

Online applications will require an uploaded image of your usual signature.

Apply online for a proxy vote

Alternatively, you can download and fill in a permanent or long-term proxy voting application form.

Vote by proxy due to a disability 
Vote by proxy due to attendance on an educational course 
Vote by proxy due to employment 
Vote by proxy for a British citizen living overseas 
Vote by proxy for Crown Servants and British Council employees 

Vote by proxy for members of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces 

If your proxy application is made due to one of the reasons listed above, the application must be evidenced (‘attested’) by one of the people specified below. Please note this does not include except reason seven – you’re required to make a journey by sea or air to get to a polling station.

Evidence/proof to support your application ('attestations')

An ‘attestation’ is the act of providing evidence/proof to show that something is true.

The permanent proxy application form requires a signed declaration (‘attestation’), from either a doctor, nurse or warden of a home, or in the case of work your employer.

The person evidencing and proving your application form must: 

  • state their name and address
  • the qualification held
  • that the applicant cannot be reasonably expected to go to the polling station, and 
  • that the incapacity is likely to continue either indefinitely or for a period specified by the attestor

Evidence for physical incapacity or blindness

Forms should be evidenced by:

  • a registered medical practitioner, registered nurse, a registered dentist, a registered dispensing optician or optometrist, a registered chiropractor, a person registered under the Health Professions Order or a Christian Science practitioner.
  • if you live in a residential home or sheltered housing, the matron, home care director or warden can support your application.

A person who is registered blind does not have to have their application attested if they specify that they are registered blind.

An applicant who states they are in receipt of the higher rate of mobility allowance because of their incapacity does not require attestation for their application either.

Evidence for occupations, employment, service voters and course attendees

Forms should be evidenced by:

  • by the person's employer
  • if the person is self-employed, by a person aged 18 years or more, who is not related to the person but who knows them
  • if the person is attending a course, by the tutor of that course or the principal of the educational institution where the course is taking place