Self-build and custom build register

Self-build and custom build housing is housing built by individuals or groups for their own use, either by building the home on their own or by working with builders. Custom and self-build housing could provide homes to meet individual requirements that are not available in the current market. 

For example, homes could be innovatively designed or larger properties could be built to meet specific households' needs. There are various types of self-build and custom build project, which include:

  • Individual self/custom build – an individual purchases a plot of land and builds a house to live in. They may do some or all of the build themselves, or employ a builder, architect and in some cases, a project manager to oversee the build.
  • Group self/custom build – a group of people join together to design and develop a custom build housing development which they then live in. They may build this themselves or with help from a developer to manage the project.
  • Developer-led custom build – a developer divides a larger site into individual plots and provides a design and build service to purchasers. This gives people a chance to tailor existing house designs to suit their own preference and needs.

Self-build and custom build housing register

We keep a register for people or associations who are seeking to bring forward a self- build and customised building project within Woking Borough. 

By signing up, you will help us find out more about the demand for self-build and custom build plots in Woking Borough, where people would like their plot to be, the size of plot and the type of house that they would like to build.

We use the information provided to explore ways in which it might be possible for people and serviced plots of land (with access to a public highway and connections to electricity, water and waste water) to be brought together through the planning process. 

To register and individual or group, must meet the government’s eligibility criteria as follows:  

  • aged 18 or over
  • a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individuals sole or main residence.

Please note if the applicant is a group or an association, each member must fulfil the eligibility criteria. Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available.

Register for self-build and custom housing 

We will not pass identifiable information from the register on to anyone outside the council without the written consent of the person who registered their details.

What happens next

You will receive notification when you have been successfully registered.

More information

GOV.UK self-build and custom building guidance 

The Self Build Portal  

Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016