Service update: Existing bookings to hire an open space have been cancelled and new bookings will not be taken until further notice.
This change in response to the Government's Coronavirus (COVID-19) social distancing and essential services only requirements. In line with national policy, we have adjusted our normal working practices and service delivery until further notice. The majority of our services remain operational and we are prioritising vulnerable residents.
View an overview of our council service updates
You must apply to hire an open space at least two months before your event.
Once your completed application form has been received, we will be in touch to confirm the site and date availability. If available, we will require the following documents sent in one email for ease of processing.
- Risk assessment
- Fire risk assessment (if necessary for the event)
- Site plan
- Proof of public liability insurance (event organisers and all operators at the event are required to hold public liability insurance that must be valid for the period of the event and provide cover of no less than £5 million)
Some events may also require a detailed safety plan and event specific documents, such as fairground ride certificates and music licences.
Fees for open space hire for events:
|Land under three acres|
|Level 1: Commercial||£200 per day|
|Level 2: Commercial sport and leisure||£175 per day|
|Level 3: Standard leisure||£125 per day|
|Level 4: Community sport and leisure||£50 per day|
|Land over three acres|
|Level 1: Commercial||£350 per day|
|Level 2: Commercial sport and leisure||£300 per day|
|Level 3: Standard leisure||£225 per day|
|Level 4: Community sport and leisure||£125 per day|
Local charities and community groups may, in some cases, be exempt from these fees.
We have produced an open spaces hirers' pack, containing additional advice and guidance to assist those organising events and other activities at its sites.
Please note: this advice is scalable depending on the size of the event, some aspects may not be relevant to all events.
View and download open space hirers' pack individual files
- Open space hirers' pack - covering letter
- Event planning guidance
- Appendix 1: Event safety plan template
- Appendix 2: Outdoor event risk assessment guidance
- Appendix 3: Fire risk assessment guidance
- Appendix 4: Accident report form template
- Appendix 5: Lost children form template
- Appendix 6: Event participant list
- Appendix 7: Event planning checklist
- Apppendix 8: Funfair rides spreadsheet
For further information about the hire of open spaces for events, please contact the green infrastructure team.
Phone: 01483 755 855