Shah Jahan Mosque
Described by the Pevsner Architectural Guides as 'extraordinarily dignified', this building is the first purpose-built mosque in Britain. Commissioned by Gottlieb Wilhelm Leitner to provide a place of worship for Muslim students at the Oriental Institute, it was designed by Victorian architect, W. L. Chambers and completed in 1889. Its green and white dome and minarets are considered one of Woking's landmarks. Decorative geometric patterns and Arabic calligraphy can be seen on the interior.
During the first half of the 20th Century, this mosque was the focus for the development of Islam in Britain, and received many important and royal visitors. Now a Grade II listed building, the mosque welcomes visitors and offers guided tours for groups.
Directions: 149 Oriental Road, Woking GU22 7BA. The mosque is a short walk (15 minutes) from the railway station -leave from platform five and turn left onto Oriental Road. The mosque is found on the left, just before Lion Retail Park.
Contact: Shah Jahan Office Administrator, on 01483 760679 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit.
Please avoid visiting on Fridays and at prayer times (usually 1-2pm).