Residents' parking permits and visitor vouchers


Controlled Parking Zones were introduced in Woking, Brookwood and West Byfleet in an effort to prevent the parking problems that were being caused by indiscriminate all-day parking in certain areas by people from outside the area and to ensure that on-street parking was kept available for residents and their visitors. It therefore meant that permit parking for residents had to be introduced and various times of restrictions were brought into force depending on the area and the extent of the problem in that particular area. Woking has five areas (Areas 1- 5), Brookwood has just one and West Byfleet has two (the Central and Outer Areas).

On-street parking is not available for residents in the Woking town centre, but arrangements are in place for those eligible to use one of the town centre car parks, although this facility may not necessarily be continued indefinitely and is reviewed annually.

Those living in West Byfleet town centre are not able to park in the towns inner area, but can apply for an on-street permit to park anywhere in the outer area.

Who is eligible to apply for a residents' parking permit?

Residents' parking permits are only available to residents living within the Woking, Brookwood and West Byfleet Controlled Parking Zones (CPZ's) who own a vehicle but who do not have adequate off-street parking available and have to park on the road. A resident who has sufficient room on a driveway or in a garage is not entitled to a permit. A household with two cars but with only one off-street parking space would be eligible for one permit and those with three cars but only one space would be able to apply for two etc. Permits are vehicle specific and not transferable, so in such cases it has to be decided which vehicle is to be parked on-street.

Permits are only valid for the CPZ or CPZ Area in which the applicant resides but if the applicant does not have to park during the hours of enforcement for that area they do not need a permit.

The Woking CPZ has five separate Areas, the West Byfleet CPZ has two and the Brookwood CPZ, one. Follow each link for the respective maps.

Each permit application is considered on it's own merits and the submission of an application does not necessarily mean it will be approved.

It is necessary to restrict the number of permits issued as roads in the Borough cannot sustain on-street parking for the residents of all the developments that now exist in the Borough and it is not possible to maintain an indefinite issue of on-street permits.

On-Street permits are not available for residents of -

  • Woking Area 1 (except Ferndale Road and The Grove, the residents of which are issued with permits to allow them to park in those two roads only)
  • the Metro Apartments & Birchwood Court in Woking Area 3
  • the West Byfleet Central Zone (except residents of Lavender Park Road, who are issued with permits to allow them to park in that road only)
  • apartments in the Borough where permits are not currently issued and where there is off-street parking provided within the development (even though for just one vehicle)
  • privately owned roads within a CPZ
  • roads that are in a CPZ but which are not subject to parking controls

However, Woking Area 1 residents may purchase an 'off-peak' permit for the Heathside Crescent or Victoria Way Car Park which provides parking overnight from 5pm to 9am on weekdays and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. In addition, those living in the following developments may obtain a 24-hour discounted permit for the Victoria Way, Shoppers Red (Toys R Us) or Heathside Crescent car park, but only one permit is available per apartment -

Development Location
Ashton Court Victoria Way
Birchwood Court Goldsworth Rd
Bramwell Place Chertsey Rd
Bridgewater Place Victoria Way
Centrium Station Approach
Century Court Victoria Way
Eastgate Station Approach
Enterprise Place Church St East
Kennet Court Victoria Way
Metro Apartments Goldsworth Rd
Middle Walk Commercial Way
Regents Court Victoria Way
Stratford Court Victoria Way
The Exchange Oriental Road
William Booth Place Stanley Rd

The availability of these resident car park permits may not necessarily be continued indefinitely and is reviewed annually.

Who is eligible for a carers permit?

Carers permits are available to residents living within a Controlled Parking Zone who are known to their GPs and who require regular visits from care organisations, relatives etc., in order to maintain an independent lifestyle and remain at home. The permit must be handed to each carer who visits so they can display it on the windscreen of their vehicle, and they must return it when they leave so that it can then be given to the next carer to use.

Who can apply for an Operational permit?

Operational Permits are available to Doctors, Midwives, Health Visitors and certain other qualified medical staff in order for them to park in a Controlled Parking Zone during the hours of parking restrictions to allow them to carry out their official duties when visiting patients who reside within the Controlled Parking Zone.

What is a Resident's Off-Peak Car Park Permit?

An off-peak car park permit allows residents of Area 1 of the Woking Controlled Parking Zone (see map) to park in either the Victoria Way or Heathside car park after 5pm and before 9am Mondays to Fridays, all day Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. If a vehicle is parked during the peak hours (9am to 5pm Mondays to Fridays), the hourly/daily rate has to be paid in addition to the annual charge. These permits are not available for residents of The Grove or Ferndale Road as they are eligible to apply for an on-street permit to park in either of those two roads.

What is a Resident's 24hr Discounted Car Park Permit?

A resident's 24hr discounted car park permit has been introduced for residents of those apartments listed above, where there is insufficient parking available. It allows unrestricted use of the car park nominated but the facility will be reviewed annually and may not necessarily be continued. Only one permit per apartment will be issued; if a second permit is required it would have to be an off-peak one.

How much do residents' permits cost?

Permit Type Cost Period Valid
On-Street - first vehicle 50 12 months
On-Street each subsequent vehicle(s) 75 12 months
Carers 10 12 months
Operational No charge 12 months
Car Park Off-Peak 170 12 months
Car Park 24hr Discount 260 12 months

How do I apply for a parking permit?

CHANGE IN APPLICATION PROCEDURE - the Civic Offices Cash Desks are now permanently closed and resident on-street and resident car park permits, carers permits, operational permits and any change of vehicle can only be applied for or renewed on-line or by post; it is no longer possible to apply in person at the Civic Offices.

On-line: go to the Apply For It link on this web site - please note: for resident permits, if a permit is required for more than one vehicle a seperate application must be made for each vehicle concerned.

By Post: For those who cannot apply on-line, complete the relevant application form and post or deliver to the Civic Offices with the appropriate payment; cheques should be made payable to Woking Borough Council.


Photocopies of proof of residence and of page 2 of the vehicle registration document are acceptable and permits will be posted within 5 working days.

Resident Car Park Permits

Applicants wishing to use either the Victoria Way or Shoppers Red car park will be issued with a car park proximity card that opens the barriers. Those wishing to use the Heathside car park will be issued with a windscreen permit. This may take a few days to process, so it will be necessary to pay the daily/hourly car park charge until the card/permit is received (there can be no reimbursement).

What documents do I need when applying for or renewing a residents' parking permit?

You need to provide proof of residence and proof of ownership of the vehicle. If applying by post please send a photocopy of these documents as we cannot take responsibility for the safety of the originals. Both documents have to be in the name and address of the applicant and have to be produced for a new application and for every renewal.

What proof of residence do I need to provide?

Proof of residence has to be something that proves you currently reside at your address. It can be a utility bill, bank statement, pension or Council Tax payment book, or recent correspondence with Woking Borough Council, but must be dated within the last three months. Vehicle documents, driving licences and passports do not meet this criterion. If you are in the process of moving to a new address, we can accept a recent letter confirming occupation of the property from a solicitor or agent for the completion of the purchase of the property, or the rental agreement if you are a tenant.

What proof of vehicle ownership do I need to provide?

Page 2 (the inside left-hand page) of the Vehicle Registration Document must be produced for every application, including renewal. However, if the vehicle is registered in the name of a company, please include a letter on headed paper from your manager or the Company Secretary, confirming the vehicle is allocated to you for your exclusive use. If the vehicle is leased, please enclose a copy of the lease agreement with your application.

Can I apply for a permit if the vehicle is registered at a different address?

The vehicle has to be registered to the person shown on the application form and at their address within a Controlled Parking Zone. A permit will not be issued unless it is and there are no exceptions other than company or leased vehicles. Obviously, newly acquired vehicles will not be so registered and residents moving in to the Borough will not have had time to register the vehicle at their new address.

For newly acquired vehicles, scan the green (new owner) slip if applying on-line, or submit a copy with the application form if applying by post. A temporary permit will be issued for one month to allow time for DVLA to send you a new vehicle registration document. When received, provide the Council with a copy of page 2 (the inside left-hand page that shows the vehicle and owner details) and a full permit will be issued.

For new residents applying on-line, fill in the change of address section on page 2, scan that page into your application and then send it to DVLA. We will issue a temporary permit until you receive it back and can provide the Council with a copy of page 2 so a full permit can be issued. If applying by post, submit that page with your application form and we will send it to DVLA for you which allows us to issue a full permit; it is suggested you send it recorded delivery.

What happens if I change my vehicle?

As residents' permit are issued for a specific vehicle, you cannot use your existing permit on your new car, and will need to apply for a replacement at a cost of 15; follow the Application Procedure above, but a replacement cannot be issued if you do not return the original. In the event of a short term change of vehicle (e.g. a loan or courtesy vehicle from a garage), please notify us without delay of the replacement vehicle details and a temporary permit will be issued.

What happens if I have visitors or contractors who need to park on the road?

If you have visitors who park on the road when parking restrictions are in force in the CPZ Area in which you live, they must park in a parking bay and display a valid Residents Visitor Permit (not all residents are eligible for these permits - see response to the following question). Outside the restriction times a permit is not required.

It is recommended that you keep a book of visitor permits available for when you do have visitors for when a permit has to be displayed. Each permit is valid for one day only, and must be validated by scratching off the year, month and date of use, writing the vehicle registration in the space provided. Once purchased they can be kept until required even if the year shown on them has passed, in which case write the year of use in the adjoining space. The permit must be clearly displayed in the vehicle or a penalty charge notice may be issued.

How do I obtain residents' visitor permits?

The permits are scratch cards valid for one day only, to be clearly displayed in the car windscreen or kerb-side window as per the instructions given. The registration number of the vehicle must be written on the front of the card in the box provided. They are not transferrable to any other vehicle and are only valid for and can only be used in the CPZ or Area in which the resident lives. Maps showing the various CPZs and Areas for Brookwood, West Byfleet and Woking can be found under Residents' Parking Permits and Visitor Vouchers. Once purchased, visitor permits are valid until they are required to be used. If the scratch-off year shown has passed, the current year can be written alongside it and the permit will be honoured.

Visitor permits are available to residents who live in the Brookwood, West Byfleet or Woking Controlled Parking Zones (CPZ) but not for those residents who live in Woking Area 1 or the West Byfleet Central Zone because no on-street resident parking is available in those areas. Certain roads within a CPZ may be private (not maintained at public expense) or the residents may have opted out of being part of CPZ controls. Those living in such roads are not entitled to apply for resident permits or to obtain visitor permits to park in roads that are subject to CPZ restrictions. Additionally, residents of certain apartment blocks may not be eligible if permit restrictions were imposed when those apartments were built or where sufficient or allocated off-street parking is provided within the apartment complex.

Visitor Permits can be obtained by applying on-line or by telephoning the Civic Offices between 9am and 4.45pm, Monday to Friday; if paying by credit card, a surcharge of 1.8% is added, but this does not apply to debit card payments.

The cost is 2 each or 10 for a book of five; residents aged 60 years or over are entitled to a 50% discount upon proof of age.

Residents who live in the Woking area can collect the permits from the Civic Offices or out of hours from our Car Park Control Room in the Woking Town Centre Shoppers' Car Park complex, which is open 24-hours and is opposite the theatre drop-off zone. Those residents in West Byfleet or Brookwood who live in a gated property with a security code or where permanent access is not available to your front door can also collect from the Civic Offices or the Control Room. We can arrange for permits to be hand delivered to those residents who live in Brookwood or West Byfleet where easy access to the front door is available. Visitor permits will not be sent by post as delivery cannot be guaranteed, they could be lost and there would be no proof that they had been delivered to the correct address.

Proof of residence, if applicable proof of age, and a signature will be required when collecting permits. A utility bill, bank statement, council tax, benefits or pension document dated within the previous three months that shows the residents name and address are all acceptable documents. Permits cannot be collected without such proof as the Council is obliged to ensure they are only sold to eligible residents.

I no longer need my residents' parking permit - can it be surrendered?

Yes. Refunds for surrendered permits will be made pro rata for each complete month left on the permit, less an administration charge of 25. Please return your permit to:

Customer Services (Parking)
Civic Offices
Gloucester Square
GU21 6YL

Any refund will be made by BACS payment, so please enclose details of your bank account (name of your bank, name on the account, account number and sort code) in order for us to process the refund.

How do I get more information?

Please call 01483 755855 if you require any further information about residents' parking permits or visitor permits.