You can find out full details about making a high hedge complaint on the Government website.

High hedge complaints are subject to a fee of 500, which is payable to Woking Borough Council.

Making a high hedge complaint

Before you make a complaint, you must have taken the following steps to sort out the problem yourself:

  • Spoken and written to your neighbour about the hedge and how it is affecting the enjoyment of your property. You must have made at least three attempts in the last four months with at least two in writing; and
  • Spoken to a third party mediation group. These are groups run by trained mediators who will mediate between two parties in dispute.

Once the above steps have been taken and the issue remains unresolved please complete the form and send it to the marked address. As well as the form, you will need to send us:

  • A site plan with the hedge clearly marked on it. This should be to scale and show the relevant site and hedge measurements, including the direction of North; and
  • A cheque made payable to 'Woking Borough Council' for 500.

In addition, the hedge you wish to make a complaint to us about must:

  • be made up of a line of at least two evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs;
  • not have any significant gaps in it;
  • be at least two metres in height when measured from the level of roots at ground level; and
  • Block out light to your home or garden.

A Successful Complaint

If the Council decides that the hedge is affecting the enjoyment of your property, we may decide to issue a remedial notice. We will send this notice to you, the owners and occupiers of the land, on which the hedge is growing, and any neighbouring owners or occupiers that are affected. This remedial notice will explain:

  • That you have made a complaint;
  • That we have decided to support your complaint and the reasons for this;
  • The action that the hedge owner must take and the date that this action must be taken by;
  • Any future action which the hedge owner must take to stop the problem happening again;
  • What will happen if the hedge owner does not take this action within the timescale we set; and
  • That the remedial notice is registered as a local land charge for the time it is valid.

An Unsuccessful Complaint

Both the complainant and the owner of the hedge can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate against a decision we make: Any appeal must be made to the Planning Inspectorate within 28 days of the remedial notice, or the date on which we notify all interested parties of our decision.

More in Hedges

Also in Trees and hedges