Householder application for planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling

Important notes

Application for works to houses which require planning permission, including demfolition in a conservation area. It should be used for projects such as; Extensions; Conservatories; Loft conversions; Dormer windows; Garages, car ports and outbuildings. Please note that planning permission is not needed for all household building work. Under permitted development rules you can carry out a number of household building work projects, provided they meet certain limits and conditions, and the permitted development rights are not restricted for your property. You can find out whether you need planning permission for your building project by viewing the Planning Portal's Interactive House. Find out more about Householder planning consent.

Householder applications should be submitted in accordance with the requirements in this checklist. If not, the application may be declared invalid and not determined or processing may be delayed.

If the application is submitted electronically one copy of the form and each of the drawings, plans and documentation will be required but 2 copies (1 original and 1 copy) will be required if the application is submitted in paper form.

Drawings should include information clearly stating the original size of the paper and include a scale bar indicating a minimum 0-10 metres. This is to enable them to be accurately read online. Plans marked with "do not scale" or any similar phrase will be returned as unacceptable as for planning purposes we must be able to scale from all drawings.

Back to top

National Requirements

  • Completed application form.

  • Location plan based on an up-to-date map. This should be at an identified standard metric scale typically 1:1250 or 1:2500 but where possible should be scaled to fit onto A3 or A4 sized paper. The application site should be clearly edged with a red line and a blue line drawn around any other land owned by the applicant close to or adjoining the application site.

  • Site plan at an identified scale (see local requirements for scale) with a north point showing the proposed development in relation to the site boundaries, and other existing buildings on site with written dimensions including those to boundaries and the following unless these would not influence or be affected by the proposed development:

  • all the buildings, road and a footpath on land adjoining the site including access arrangements

  • all public rights of way crossing or adjoining the site

  • the position of all trees on the site and those on adjacent land

  • the extent and type of any hard surfacing and

  • boundary treatment including walls or fencing where this is proposed.

  • Appropriate ownership certificate and agricultural land declaration.

  • The correct fee.

  • Design and Access Statement if appropriate.

Back to top

Local Requirements (reviewed 12 September 2014)

  • Site plan (see national requirements) at a scale of 1:200 or less (i.e. 1:100).

  • Existing and proposed elevations at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100.

  • Existing and proposed floor plans at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100.

  • Existing and proposed site sections and finished floor and site levels e.g. at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100.

  • Roof plans e.g. at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100.

  • CIL additional information form (where applicable)

  • CIL assumption of liability form (where applicable)

  • Flood risk assessment/completion and demonstration of compliancy with the Environment Agency's standing advice and the National Planning Policy Framework (Section 10 Meeting the challenge of climate change, flooding and coastal change).

  • Green Belt very special circumstances case/argument where inappropriate development in the green belt is proposed. (National Planning Policy Framework Section 9, Core Strategy Policy CS6)

  • Green Belt percentage footprint, floorspace and volume increase calculations of the original, existing and proposed works, if they are to result in an increase in the size of the development. (National Planning Policy Framework Section 9, Core Strategy Policy CS6)

  • Landscaping proposals. Required if hard/ soft landscaping works are involved. (National Planning Policy Framework Sections 7 and 11, Core Strategy Policies CS21 and CS24)

  • Parking provision. Details of existing and proposed parking required if proposal affects existing parking spaces including on-street parking bays and/or is likely to create changes in the demand for parking on site or on surrounding streets.

  • Photographs/photomontages. At applicant's discretion but will be required if the proposal is in a conservation area or affects a listed building.
  • Tree survey/method statement/arboricultural implications assessment. Required if proposal is likely to affect trees within the application site or on land adjacent to the site, including street trees. (National Planning Policy Framework Section 11, Core Strategy Policies CS7 and CS21)

  • Technical brochure and specifications required for applications for solar panels, sunpipes etc.

  • Heritage statement in accordance with the provisions of the National Planning Policy Framework (Section 12 Conserving and enhancing the historic environment) will be required if the proposal is in a conservation area or affects a local or statutory listed building.

  • Sustainability statement setting out how any residential extensions incorporate energy and water efficiency measures (Core Strategy Policy CS22). If the proposed development results in the creation of one or more new dwellings, the statement should set out how water and energy efficiency standards in the Council's guidance note will be met.

Back to top

Notices to be served on land owners

For applications where ownership certificate B or C is completed (i.e. where the applicant is not the sole owner of the application site) then the appropriate notice must be served in accordance with Article 11 of the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2010.
Householder Notice 1 form.

Back to top

Apply online

Back to top

Printable application form

Back to top

Guidance on completing application form

Back to top