Phase 2 (High Street and The Broadway)
As part of the project, from Monday 30 January 2017, we will be introducing important changes to the highways network which could impact on your movements. The key changes will see:
- High Street and The Broadway (from Duke Street) become one-way to west-bound traffic only.
- No left turn from Victoria Way to Cawsey Way/High Street via Church Street West.
- Creation of a new link road connecting High Street with Victoria Way.
- The permanent closure of Church Street West and Cawsey Way to all traffic (from May 2017 subject to change).
- The relocation of the taxi rank from High Street to The Broadway.
- Improved bus facilities along High Street and The Broadway.
- Wider pavements and dedicated cycle lane.
- The realignment of Chertsey Road to improve pedestrian and cycle connectivity.
- Remodelling Albion Square outside the north side of the station to Albion Plaza, a welcoming pedestrianised public space.
Beginning at the junction between Locke Way and The Broadway, the works will be phased to help minimise disruption to road users.
Experimental Traffic Regulation Order
Once works to the High Street link road are complete, an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO) will be introduced. The Order will restrict access, parking, loading and unloading of vehicles along High Street.
An ETRO is a legal document which imposes traffic restrictions and can only stay in place for a maximum of 18 months.
Once the Order is introduced, during the first six months the Order is monitored and assessed. This allows the Order making authority to amend, if necessary, the ETRO after consulting the Chief Officer of Surrey Police.
Formal objections to the ETRO becoming permanent can be made within six months to the day of the Order coming in to force. If the ETRO is amended, objections may be made within six months to the day that the amended Order came in to force.
As part of the project and other associated projects that support the continued economic growth of Woking Town Centre, it will be necessary at times to close roads and introduce highway diversion routes. Details of forthcoming road closures is available here.
During the highways improvement works, changes and diversions to existing bus routes will be in place. Detailed information about these changes is available by visiting Surrey County Council's bus services webpage.
Who do I contact if I have any queries?
If you any queries regarding the construction process, please contact Farrans Construction on 02890 394043.
Alternatively, if you have any queries or would like to receive up-to-date information about the project, please email email@example.com