Taxi and private hire licensing
Welcome to Woking Borough Council's page on Taxi and Private Hire Licensing.
The Aims of Woking Borough as a Licensing Authority
The Hackney Carriage and Private Hire trades provide a service to the public. As the Licensing Authority, Woking Borough Councils paramount priority is safeguarding the public. To this end, the Council applies following principles to its licensing, regulation and enforcement procedures.
The general public, and particularly service users of Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles, are putting significant trust in the drivers and vehicles involved in the trade. The Council abides by statutory requirements and frameworks in stipulating application requirements for licence qualification and approval, while also dictating substantive licensing conditions, ensuring high standards of service and safety to the public.
Quality of Service
Woking Borough Council applies specific and appropriate conditions to vehicle and drivers licences, ensuring that service users and the general public receive a high quality service from the Taxi and Private Hire trades. Condition on licences include matters relating to the age an condition of vehicles, as well as general suitability of vehicle types for carrying passengers. Woking Borough Council regards the appearance and conduct of the driver to comprise an important aspect of the service provided. As such, licence conditions are also in place with this in mind.
Meeting Travel Needs
Woking Borough Council is committed to social inclusion and ensuring a wide variety of opportunities are accessible for any residents.
The government proposes to implement the Taxi provisions of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (which has been enhanced by the Equalities Act). Woking Borough Council is committed to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and will introduce the recommendations made by Government when they become statute. The Council is working towards a fleet of accessible Hackney Carriage vehicles for the future
Value for Money
Woking Borough Council will seek to ensure that the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle trades provide value for money services to the public.
The Council uses a transparent system, taking into account costs related to the Hackney Carriage business, in order to regulate set tariffs.
The Council will always consider appropriate representations from Hackney Carriage proprietors or their representatives regarding the tariff.
Woking Borough Council will protect Hackney Carriage service users from any dishonest application of the tariff through enforcement of appropriate licence conditions, and formal and thorough investigation of complaints.
Woking Borough Council aims to balance licensing related income with the cost of service, ensuring that the Council provides value for money in its licensing services.
Efficiency of the Licensing Service
Woking Borough Council continually reviews its licensing processes as it strives to deliver its licensing, regulation and enforcement procedures as efficiently and effectively as practicable.
Communication with Licence holders
Woking Borough Council informs licence holders about the service it provides and consults with the trade regarding any significant proposed changes to policy. The Council gives due consideration to any views reasonably submitted by licence holders or their trade representatives.
Taxi Application Pack
Anyone who wants to apply to become a Taxi or Private Hire Driver in Woking Borough can order one of our Application Packs. These contain all the information you need on how to become a driver, and give details on the requirements, processes, laws and standards required. They can be purchased using our online form and will be posted out to you accordingly.
Information on Licences
- I wish to get information on how to become a Hackney Carriage Driver or Private Hire Driver within the Woking Borough
- I wish to get information on Hackney Carriage Vehicles or Private Hire Vehicles.
I wish to get information on Private Hire Operators Licences.
- I wish to know about some of the upcoming changes to Taxi and Private Hire Licensing that may affect me as a Licenced driver.
Taxi and Private Hire Payments
Information on Garages
- I would like information on the garages that carry out the vehicle inspections as well as their address' and contact details.
- I would like information on the current Fare chart for Hackney Carriage Vehicles.
Wheelchair Accesible Vehicles
- I would like information on Wheelchair Accesible Vehicles in Woking.
Information for passengers and the public
- As a member of the public, what should I look out for when using Woking Licensed Vehicles?
- What do I do if I've not had a satisfactory service with a Woking Licensed Vehicle?
- IMPORTANT NEWS: As of the 1st of April 2017, there will be supplementary charges for extra Knowledge Tests taken during an application process. The first knowledge test is included in the initial application costs - however, further knowledge tests will cost £15, payable in advance.
- The Immigration Act 2016 now requires any person applying for either a taxi or private hire car drivers licence for the first time or for the renewal of a taxi or private hire car drivers licence, for the first time since 1 December 2016, must provide evidence of his/her right to work in the UK. Further information can be found on our page on The Immigration Act 2016.
- Provider of the "Driving Standards" Practical Test has changed - for more information on that, please see our page on Practical Driving Tests.
- All Private Hire Vehicles will be Euro Emissions VI (six) by the 20th of January 2022. Any private hire vehicles that are not Euro Six will only be licenced up to the 20th of January 2022. All vehicles after that date will be Euro 6 or higher.
- All Hackney Carriage Vehicles will be Wheelchair Accessible by 31st of March 2020. Any Hackney Carriages that are not wheelchair accessible will only be licenced up to the 31st of March 2020. All Hackney Carriages after that date will be Wheelchair Compliant.