Increased urbanisation is stopping rainwater from being absorbed into the groundwater. This results in increased flood risk, overused sewer infrastructure and reduced ability to refill aquifers.
Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) alleviates these issues by copying natural processes for managing rainfall.
Incorporating SuDS into new developments has many environmental benefits and it’s an easy way to gain the support of the local community and us, your local authority.
The benefits include:
- filter and reduce surface water
- reduce pressure on infrastructure
- refill groundwater supplies.
For SuDS which incorporate vegetation there are additional benefits.
- carbon capture good for the environment
- increased biodiversity
- spaces for recreation and relaxation
- improved air quality.