We are working in partnership with Surrey County Council to consult on proposals to change the road layout south of Victoria Arch in Woking town centre.
The existing one-way gyratory system around Guildford Road, Victoria Road and the A320 Station Approach creates a pinch-point for traffic heading to and from the town centre and station, with queues often stretching back along Guildford Road.
We are proposing to replace the one-way gyratory system with a two-way road for vehicles along Guildford Road and Victoria Road. The proposal aims to relieve congestion around the town centre, whilst making journey times quicker and more reliable.
The proposal also includes the introduction of safer, more convenient walking and cycling routes between the town centre, residential areas and other important local places of interest.
The proposed changes could also help to unlock potential future development sites in the immediate area.
It should be noted that the widening of Victoria Arch is an integral part of our proposals. Partial road, walking and cycle route changes could be implemented south of Victoria Arch in advance of the widening, but the full scheme proposals and associated benefits could only be achieved with the widening in place.
The proposals are summarised below. You can also view our map below to find out more.
- Replace the one-way gyratory system on Guildford Road/Victoria Road/Station Approach with a two-way road for vehicles along Guildford Road and Victoria Road.
- Introduce new shared pedestrian and cycle paths, with a section of A320 Station Approach from Victoria Road to Heathside Road open to pedestrians and cyclists only.
- Install four new toucan crossings for pedestrians and cyclists. Please refer to the plan for the proposed locations of these.
- Adapt the junction of Heathside Road with Guildford Road so that it becomes left-turn only exit only with no access for vehicles from Guildford Road
- Improve the non-signalised crossing point with dropped kerb on the western side of Guildford Road near to York Road enabling easier access to Guildford Road bus stop.
- Resurface footways to encourage more local journeys on foot.
- Reduced and more reliable vehicle journey times to and from Woking town centre.
- Additional crossing options for pedestrians and cyclists without the need to dismount.
- New cycle and pedestrian links to and from Woking station and around the town centre connecting to Woking Park and other amenities, including Woking Leisure Centre and Pool in the Park.
- An increase in the number of people walking and cycling, encouraging healthier living.
In order to introduce these proposals, the following physical changes would be expected to take place.
- Widening Guildford Road by 15 metres to the east.
- Removal of direct vehicular access from Guildford Road to Heathside Road. Left-turn only for traffic exiting Heathside Road onto Guildford Road.
- Removal of access for vehicles between Station Approach from Victoria Road to Heathside Road.
- Removal of six parking spaces along Constitution Hill.
- Removal of two trees.
Subject to funding, the approval of the Victoria Arch widening proposals and the outcome of public consultation, implementation of the scheme could start in late 2019.
The public consultation period closed on 24 October 2018. During the six week consultation period, we hosted two public drop-in sessions in Wolsey Place Shopping Centre where members of the project team were on hand to answer questions.
Additionally, a public exhibition also ran during the consultation period from 12 September until 24 October at Morris House, 34 Commercial Way, Woking GU21 6EN.