To run a private hire business in Woking, an operator licence is required. Private hire operators are based throughout the borough and normally accept bookings over the phone. Cars are then sent to customers through the use of radios or computerised systems.
- There are no restrictions on the number of vehicles and drivers that can be operated under this licence.
- A licensed private hire driver cannot accept any bookings unless he either holds or works for a licensed private hire operator.
- An operator may pass a booking to another licensed private hire vehicle operator provided that the operator is also licensed by us, Woking Borough Council.
The licence will normally be issued for 12 months and must be renewed prior to its expiry.
Before a private hire operator licence is granted, the you must demonstrate to us that:
- The address from which you intend to operate is suitable and, where applicable, satisfy any conditions that may be attached to the licence in order not to disturb the ambience of the area.
- You, the applicant, is a 'fit and proper' person (relating to previous criminal convictions, conduct, etc.).
To understand the licence requirements in full detail, read our operators’ guidance.
How to apply
To apply, you must:
- have premises in Woking borough with appropriate planning permission granted. (Applicants must contact the Council's planning department to obtain planning permission or written confirmation that planning permission is not required.)
- pass a basic check by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
- complete an application form
- pay the licence fee of £280, which can be completed during application process.
You can appeal to the Magistrates' Court against our decision if your application is refused.
The renewal process is similar to apply for a new application and can be completed via our online application form service.
As a licensed private hire operator you must:
- maintain accurate records, for six months, that show details of the bookings taken and the driver and vehicle which carried out the booking
- keep up to date records of the details of all vehicles operated by you
- make sure that you are complying with the conditions of your licence at all times
- retain the licence of all private hire drivers managed by you
- retain the licence of all private hire vehicles managed by you
- retain copies of current insurance for all private hire vehicles managed by you
- carry out a prompt, efficient and reliable service to the public
- pay the annual renewal licensing fee
- contact us to report any conviction (motoring or otherwise) to us within seven days
- report any change of address within 7 days of moving.
Phone: 01483 755 855