Pavement furniture licence

Pubs, restaurants, wine bars and cafés may wish to have seating and tables outside their premises for customers. If the pavement is part of the public highway, you will need planning permission and a pavement furniture licence. 

Further guidance is available on the Surrey County Council website.

How to apply

Apply for a licence

View our terms and conditions

Your licence is valid for one year from the date of issue.

Fees and charges

For seating and table arrangements that take up less than three square metres there is no fee but you must still submit an application.

If the seating and table arrangements use an area of between three and 10 square metres, there is a flat fee, followed by an additional square metre thereafter.

See our list of fees and charges for commercial licences and permits

Documents required

  • Public liability insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million against third party risks.
  • Details of the furniture you intend to use.
  • A plan showing any boundary treatment including planters.


Phone: 01483 755 855