Keeping as healthy as possible should be a priority for us all. Our aim is to provide you with tips and contact details for organisations which could help you to achieve a healthier and less stressful lifestyle.
Ways to ensure you and your family stay healthy include:
- Arranging to have a health check (MOT) with your GP.
- Setting up a fitness programme which could include walking, cycling, exercise, gardening, dance or sport.
- Complementary medicine (such as Homeopathy) - can provide a number of ways in which general health can be improved and also deal with specific problems.
- Attending a first aid course with St John's Ambulance or the Red Cross.
- Part of The Department of Health's (DoH) remit is to promote healthier lifestyles and living. The Department produces information to help you to find out about important health issues and healthy living.
Richmond House, 79 Whitehall, London, SW1A 2NS
Tel 0207 210 4850
- 'Keep Warm Keep Well' is a winter guide which advises on keeping warm and healthy, heating your home, help with bills and home improvement grants.
Tel Freephone 0800 085 7000
For more information about health and illness related issues, contact NHS Direct. NHS Direct is a 24-hour advice and health information service, providing confidential information on:
- What to do if you or your family are feeling ill
- Particular health conditions
- Local healthcare services, such as doctors, dentists or late night opening pharmacies
- Self help and support organisations
The web site has an online health encyclopaedia, a self help guide to identifying symptoms, a guide to healthy living and a function for submitting enquiries online.
Tel 0845 4647
- Further health related leaflets and publications on subjects such as sexual health, pregnancy, drugs, alcohol, smoking, food and other topics are available from the Health Promotion Service.
The Jarvis Centre, 60 Stoughton Road, Guildford, Surrey GU1 1LJ
Tel 01483 532828
Fax 01483 450497
For information about complimentary, alternative and organic healthcare products that could help you to lead a healthier life, there are a range of products now available. Web sites such as Hehlis Holistics http://www.hehlis-holistics.co.uk/ provide a range of ideas. Email email@example.com. Tel 0208 660 7954 Fax 02086607954.