Council Tax energy rebate

On 3 February 2022, the chancellor announced that Council Tax payers who live in band A to D properties will receive a one-off payment of £150 per household. The payment is to support households with rising energy costs.

The rebate is not part of your Council Tax and it will not be shown on your bill.

Please do not contact us to chase this payment. This webpage will be updated when more guidance is provided by the government.

How do I receive the rebate payment?

If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit, the payment will go directly into your bank.

If you do not pay by direct debit, we will provide details on how to claim this payment once we have arrangements in place. 

If you do not pay by direct debit, we will provide details on this webpage on how to claim this payment once we have arrangements in place. This unlikely to be until the end of May. 

Sign up to pay your Council Tax by direct debit

When will the rebate payment be made?

The government has requested that all payments are to be made between April 2022 and 30 September 2022.

We will try to get the payments to you as soon as possible after April 2022. We have only recently received the guidance from the Government, and it will take some time to make changes to our computer system and processes in order to make the payments.

Who is eligible?

The person who pays Council Tax on 1 April 2022 for a property which is in Council Tax bands A to D.

Only one payment will be made to a household.

The other main criteria are:

  • The property is someone's sole or main residence.
  • The property is not unoccupied, exempt from Council Tax or a second home. 

Some households with exemptions will still qualify, such as:

  • those occupied by students
  • severely mentally impaired
  • occupied solely by under 18 year olds
  • annexes occupied by a dependant relative.

The rebate will not be applicable where the person who is liable to pay the Council Tax is:

  • a local authority
  • a corporate body or
  • other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

These lists are not exhaustive and will be updated.

What if I don't pay Council Tax because I receive full Local Council Tax Support?

You will receive the £150 energy rebate if you qualify under the rules mentioned above.

How can I find out what Council Tax Band my property is in?

You can check your Council Tax bill or you can check your Council Tax band online.

What if I live in a Council Tax band E to H house?

The government have provided us with limited funds to make some discretionary payments for those struggling with energy bills who live in bands E to H.

We don't yet know the details of who will qualify for a discretionary payment. We will update this page as soon as we know more.

Where can I find out more information?

Read the Council Tax energy rebate leaflet sent with Council Tax bills

Read more about the Council Tax energy rebate on the government's website