Local Elector Card

If you do not have any of the accepted photo ID, and you want to vote at the polling station, you will need to apply for a Local Elector Card.


To apply for an Elector Card you will need to provide:

  1. Your name and address
  2. A passport sized photo, signed by someone else confirming your identity
  3. Copies of documents to confirm your identity

Complete a local elector card application form

Once completed it should be either sent to Electoral Services, Civic Offices, Gloucester Square, Woking, GU21 6YL or emailed to electorcard@woking.gov.uk.

Please note that if you send your application form and document copies electronically, the person countersigning your photo must send the picture separately.

Countersigned photo

All applications must be accompanied by a photo that has been countersigned on the back confirming your identity by someone you know. Your counter signatory should write the following on the back of one photo:

'I certify that this is a true likeness of [full name of elector who is getting the elector card]' and include their name, signature and the date.'

The person countersigning your photo should be:

  • a person of good standing in the community
  • registered as an elector in England and Wales
  • not the spouse, civil partner, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, child or grandchild of the applicant.

If you cannot provide a photo (hard copy or electronic copy), a photo can be taken by Electoral Services team members at the Civic Offices during office hours. A hard copy of the photo will be provided to you to get countersigned. Please contact Electoral Services for more information on 01483 755855 or email electorcard@woking.gov.uk

Persons of good standing

Below is a list of examples of persons of good standing who can countersign the photo.


Medical professional

Airline pilot

Member, associate or fellow of a professional body

Articled clerk of a limited company

Merchant Navy officer

Assurance agent of recognised company

Minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)

Bank/building society official

Nurse (RGN and RMN)


Officer of the armed services

Chairman/director of limited company



Paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of Institute of Paralegals)

Civil servant (permanent)


Commissioner of Oaths

Person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)


Photographer (professional)

Director/manager of a VAT-registered charity

Police officer

Director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company

Post Office official

Engineer (with professional qualifications)

Publically elected representative (MP, Councillor, MEP, etc.)

Financial services intermediary (e.g. a stockbroker or insurance broker)

President/secretary of a recognised organisation

Fire service official

Salvation Army officer

Funeral director

Social worker

Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company




Justice of the Peace


Legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)

Trade union officer

Licensee of public house

Travel agent (qualified)

Local government officer

Valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)

Manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)

Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

Supporting documentation

You will need to provide proof of identity and proof of residence. Originals are not required and copies are acceptable (either photocopies or digital copies of statements)

You will need to provide either:

  • Two documents from Evidence List 1 and one from Evidence List 2 (If you can only provide one from Evidence List 1, there must be two documents from Evidence List 2) or
  • Four documents from Evidence List 2.

Evidence List 1

  • UK Paper driving licence
  • Non EU photo driving licence
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage/Civil partnership certificate
  • Student ID Card
  • Adoption certificate
  • Firearms licence
  • Police bail sheet
Evidence List 2
  • Mortgage statement, not more than 12 months old
  • Bank/Building society statement, not more than 3 months old
  • Bank/Building society account opening letter, not more than 3 months old
  • Credit card statement, not more than 3 months old
  • Pension Statement, not more than 12 months old
  • Council tax statement, not more than 12 months old
  • Utility bill, not more than 3 months old
  • P45 or P60 statement, not more than 12 months old
  • Benefit statement, for example child benefit or pension, not more than 3 months old
  • Entitlement document from central/local government, government agency or local council, for example from DWP, Job Centre Plus, HMRC, not more than 3 months old
  • Any other financial statement, not more than 12 months old

I don't have any of the ID listed and I don't have any documents to get a Local Elector Card? What can I do?

If you don't have any of the documents lists above, someone you know can confirm who you are instead. They will need to complete an Attestation of Identity.

For more information about the Attestation of Identity, please contact Electoral Services on 01483 755855 or email electorcard@woking.gov.uk

Also in Voter ID - 3 May 2018