Coronavirus information

The Civic Offices remain closed to the public. We're continuing to deliver services to the community. For council service updates, national guidance and how to contact us, click the link below.

Find out more

Complaints procedure

If you have spoken to the service area your problem relates to and are unhappy with their response then we can investigate further. However, if you have yet to speak to one of our service areas and feel they may initially be able to help, please do contact them directly in the first instance.

Woking Borough Council aims to provide the best possible service to its customers. That is why it's important that you tell us how we are doing and how we can improve our services to better meet your needs.

Whilst we try hard to provide a high quality service, we don't always get it right, which is why we have a formal complaints procedure in place. A link to the Woking Borough Council Complaints Procedure (revised August 2018) can be found here.

As well as finding out about any complaints, we would also like to know if you have any additional comments (including compliments) about our services so that we can continue to provide a good service to you. A compliment can let staff know that their efforts are appreciated.

How to make a formal complaint

Formal complaints must be made in writing. This is to ensure that we understand your complaint and what you would like us to do to put the matter right.

Please use one of the following methods to contact us:


Write a letter to:
Woking Borough Council
Civic Offices
Gloucester Square
Surrey GU21 6YL

Complete our online eform and fill in the details of the complaint.

Visit us at the Civic Offices (Monday to Friday, 9am - 4.45pm) and complete a complaint form available from Customer Services.

When we receive your complaint, it will be allocated to a manager within the relevant service area. It will be acknowledged within five working days and you will be given the investigator's name and contact details.

We will try to complete the investigation and give you an answer within a further six weeks. If this is not possible, we will advise you of the date by which you will receive a full reply.

If your complaint concerns the Chief Executive, it will be referred to the Monitoring Officer who will decide how your complaint will be dealt with. Their decision will be final, and it will not be subject to a Right of Appeal within the Council.

Contractor complaints

If your complaint relates to a service that is provided by a contractor and not direct to the Council, you must go through the contractor's complaints procedure. If you are unclear who the contractor is, please contact the Council and we will advise you.

Right of appeal

We hope that our investigation will result in a satisfactory resolution of the problem. However, if you have reason to believe that your complaint has not been investigated properly, you can appeal for a further review to be undertaken. To do so, you must explain your reasons fully, setting out why you do not consider the previous investigation was carried out properly. Please note, you cannot appeal because you do not like the result of the previous investigation.

How to appeal

Your appeal must be made within six weeks of the date of our final letter responding to your original complaint. It should be sent to the Council's Deputy Monitoring Officer who will review the facts and decide whether or not there are grounds to support a further review. If your appeal is unsuccessful, you will be advised within six weeks and informed of the reasons why.

If your appeal is accepted, a member of our Corporate Management Group (who has not previously been involved in the case) will undertake a further investigation and reply within six weeks; you will be notified if more time is required. The decision made by the Corporate Management Group member will be final.

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman and Housing Ombudsman

There will be occasions where we will not be able to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction. If this is the case, you can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LGO) or the Housing Ombudsman (HO) who will consider your complaint and investigate, if appropriate.

The LGO and HO will not normally consider any appeal until a complaint has been through the Council's complaints procedure.

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman can be contacted at:

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Phone: 0300 061 0614


The Housing Ombudsman Service can be contacted at:

The Housing Ombudsman Service
81 Aldwych

Phone: 0300 111 3000