Coronavirus information

The Civic Offices remain closed to the public. We're continuing to deliver services to the community. For council service updates, national guidance and how to contact us, click the link below.

Find out more

I need help

The fastest way to receive help is often through your local network, this could be your family, friends or neighbours.

If they are unable to provide support and you are in need of help, and you are not sure who to talk to, there are ways to get in touch with a range of local organisations.

Surrey community helpline

Managed by Surrey County Council, this is a central helpline which links together all county-wide public services. It offers two main sources of support:

  • To help direct residents who need support – if friends or family are unable to help – with such things as picking up shopping, prescription collections or having someone who can be a telephone friend, and to other services that can help.
  • To provide advice on where to register your offer of help to support your community.

Community helpline number: 0300 200 1008
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm

SMS for deaf and hearing impaired residents: 0786 0053 465
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm

Surrey online request form

You can also request help by filling in our online request form. You should expect to receive a response within 24 hours.

Submit an online request

If our helpline is open (see the above opening times), we would recommend that you call that number to talk to someone who can help you.

Financial help


If you require information regarding claiming benefits, some of the following links may help.

What to do if you were employed and have lost your job

What to do if you’re self-employed and getting less or no work

What to do if you’re already getting benefits

About Universal Credit

Surrey Welfare Rights Unit (SWRU) website contains up to date information about benefits available for the self-employed.

Council Tax

If your income has reduced or stopped

If you have lost your job or are on reduced hours we might be able to help pay your Council Tax. Help can be given by applying for Council Tax support.

Find out if you qualify for Council Tax support

If you’re already receiving Council Tax Support

If you are already getting Council Tax Support and are 'working age', we have reduce your bill by an extra £150 this year. You do not need to apply for this. If you qualify, you will receive a new bill once any award is made.

If you’re still having difficulty paying your Council Tax

If you are experiencing difficulties making payments, we can agree alternative arrangements with you. We will make arrangements with you that take account of your circumstances. This may include rescheduling or delaying payment.

If you wish to discuss your circumstances you should contact the Council Tax team who will be able to advise you on the best course of action.

Phone: 01483 755 855

When sending us an email, please add 'Difficulties' and your Council Tax reference number (if known) in the subject line, and please explain your specific difficulties within the email.

NHS Test and Trace self-isolation support payment

If you have been asked by the NHS Test and Trace team to self-isolate, you must do so or risk facing a fine of up to £1,000.

If you have been told to self-isolate and on a low income, you may be entitled to a one-off support payment of £500.

Find out more about the self-isolation support payment and how to apply online

Debit advice

For general debt advice, online help is available from Citizens Advice or Money Advice Service.

Visit the Citizens Advice website

Visit the Money Advice Service website

Other help available

If you’re struggling to afford food

If you’re struggling to buy food for yourself and family, help is available from Woking Food Bank between 10.30am and 12.30pm, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Find out how to get help from Woking Food Bank

If you’re feeling low

If you or someone you care about is struggling, there’s lots of mental wellbeing support available.

View local health and wellbeing support available

If you’re feeling isolated

If you’re feeling lonely, Surrey County Council’s BeFriendly service can arrange for someone to give you a call for a chat.

Call 0300 200 1008 to arrange a chat.

If you’re an unpaid adult and young carers

Within Surrey there are an estimated 115,000 unpaid carers, aged between five and 95 years old, which are likely affected by temporary changes to regular carer support and respite services. During these uncertain times, there is still a range of help services available which Surrey residents can call upon.

Get advice and help for carers

If you’re experiencing loss and bereavement

As the number of those who have tragically died rises across the country support and guidance continues to be available to the bereaved in Surrey.

Support is available via Surrey County Council’s community helpline and Cruse, the bereavement support charity, to offer emotional support over the phone.

Surrey County Council community helpline on 0300 200 1008.

Cruse confidential and free and can be contacted on 0844 477 9400.

Get bereavement and grief advice from Cruse