Coronavirus information

The Civic Offices remain closed to the public. We're continuing to deliver services to the community. For council service updates, national guidance and how to contact us, click the link below.

Find out more

Brexit transition period

The UK left the EU on 31 January. There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021.

You, your family or your business can take some actions now to prepare for 2021.

Check how to get ready for the new rules

EU Settlement Scheme for EU citizens wishing to remain in the UK

The EU Settlement Scheme protects the rights you currently have in the UK including access to healthcare, benefits and pensions. If you’re an European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

If your application is successful, you’ll get either 'settled' or 'pre-settled' status.

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

You may be able to stay in the UK without applying. For example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have 'indefinite leave to remain'.

The application process is free and you need to complete the following three key steps:

  1. prove your identity
  2. show that that you live in the UK
  3. declare any criminal convictions.

Read foreign language translations of the EU Settlement Scheme guidance

Read the step by step guide about what you need to do to stay in the UK

Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme

UK nationals living in the EU and wishing to remain in the EU

Continuing to live and work in an EU country depends on the rules in that country. For example, you’ll need to:

  • register or apply for residency
  • check if you are covered for healthcare and register if necessary
  • exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live
  • check your passport.

Check your rights for the country you live in

UK citizens travelling to the EU

If you’re planning to travel to the EU, you should review the government’s travel information.

Read more about visiting the EU  

Consumer rights

Citizens' rights: EU citizens in the UK and UK nationals in the EU

Citizens' rights: UK and Irish nationals in the Common Travel Area

Transition advice for businesses

If you trade any goods or services with the EU, you’ll need to get ready for the new rules. For example, you need to take action if you:

  • export goods to the EU
  • import goods from the EU
  • transport goods by road
  • export animals or animal products
  • export services to the EU.

Read the government's transition business advice

Alternatively, you can contact our business liaison team.

Phone: 01483 743 487

Woking Borough Council services

We do not expect Brexit to cause any significant disruption to our services. We are working closely with Surrey Local Resilience Forum which is coordinating with Surrey local authorities and partners to prepare the county for Brexit. If you have any concerns about the impact on our services, please call 01483 755 855.

Find out more about Surrey County Council and Brexit