His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh

The Mayor, Members and Officers of Woking Borough Council are deeply saddened at the news of the death of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh. Our thoughts are with the Royal Family at this time.

Find out more

How to book a Coronavirus test

There are different routes for booking a Coronavirus test. All are available to people showing symptoms.

If you're showing symptoms, read the information below to find the right route for your circumstances.

Please note this type of test is to check whether you are currently infected with Coronavirus. It does not diagnose if you have had the virus in the past.

If you are not showing symptoms and cannot work from home. Please visit Surrey County Council's webpage about  how to book a symptom-free Coronavirus test.

Physical symptoms which should be tested for Coronavirus

The key symptoms of Coronavirus are:

  • a high temperature
  • a new continuous cough
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste.

If you are experiencing one or more of the above, you need to get the test done in the first five days of having symptoms.

Read more about other Coronavirus symptoms

Find out about the Coronavirus testing process

Testing for the general public showing symptoms

Anyone who has symptoms of Coronavirus, whatever their age, should book a test immediately.

It’s important to book a test within the first FIVE days of having symptoms.

You can choose to book a test at local testing unit, which are managed via a drive-through or walk-through process. Or, you can apply to receive a home testing kit through the post.

Local testing units within the borough are located on selected dates at Woking Park Car Park, Sheerwater Recreation Ground Car Park, Goldsworth Recreation Car Park and Lansbury Business Estate. Subject to availability, all or some of these sites will be offered as part of the booking process.

To get tested, you must  pre-book a home testing kit or appointment via the NHS.

Book a Coronavirus test via the NHS

Testing for essential workers showing symptoms

Essential workers who have Coronavirus symptoms can be prioritised for testing. Essential workers are those outlined in the Government's list of essential workers prioritised for testing.

Check if you're job function is listed as an essential worker

Book a Coronavirus test via the GOV.UK testing for essential workers hub

Testing for care homes residents and staff

A new digital portal for care homes is now available to enable care homes to access coronavirus test kits. If a care home provides a service for older people (aged 65 plus) or a service for those with dementia it can now register for testing of the whole care home. This includes all residents and asymptomatic staff, including agency staff. This can be done through the Government's new portal for care homes.

Find out more and apply for tests for care homes

Self-isolation payments

It is a legal requirement for people to self-isolate when instructed to by NHS Test and Trace.

If you have been told by NHS Test and Trace to stay at home and self-isolate, you may be entitled to a one-off support payment of £500.

If you're on a low income this could help you to self-isolate without having to worry about your finances.

This payment is subject to tax. If you receive the support payment you will not be taxed on it straight away, but will be contacted by HMRC at a later date.

Find out more about applying for a self-isolation payment

More information

Read more about the Government’s Test and Trace service