Evidence for a Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support claim

Before your claim can be assessed you will be asked to provide supporting evidence.

Evidence will also be needed if you have a current claim and you have a change in circumstances.

All evidence must be verified to an acceptable level before we assess a claim.

Different evidence will be requested according to the type of claim that you are making and, if you are claiming housing benefit, the type of tenancy you have.

If you have completed an online claim form, please provide all the evidence requested in the receipt within one month. If further evidence is required we will write to you separately.

If you have a change of circumstances your claim will be suspended until we have the evidence needed to re assess your award.

Please supply the additional information, and documents that we request, in the time limits that you are given. If you are unable do this you should contact us and tell us what is causing the delay, and when you expect to be able to provide the evidence.

If you do not reply, your claim may be treated as withdrawn. If you then wish to re apply a new form may be required, which in most cases will be assessed from the Monday following receipt of your new application.

If you have any questions regarding the evidence required please contact the Housing Benefit section.

Here are some examples of the types of evidence that will be accepted.


Full bank or building society statement (covering last 2 full months, details of all credits and debits, showing outstanding balance)

Account passbooks (showing name, account number, last 2 months transactions)

Letter from bank or building society (detailing accounts held, account numbers, account balances, transactions for last 2 months)

Documents showing proof of ownership (e.g. share certificates, premium bonds, etc..)

Benefits/Tax Credits

All pages of a recent award letter showing current rates, current bank statements showing payment of benefit received into account, letters issued by Benefit Agency.

Earned Income

5 weekly/3 fortnightly/2 monthly up-to-date consecutive wage slips, certificate of earnings or a letter from employer. The evidence must provide the following information:

Employer's name and address, number of hours worked, gross pay to date, gross pay per period, Income tax and National Insurance deducted, pension contributions, method of payment.

Other Income

Latest payment slips, latest award notice, loan notification letter for students, Court orders, latest Child Support Agency notices, letter from absent parent confirming maintenance payments made.

Self Employed Earned Income

Certified Accounts drawn up by an accountant.

Self employed sheet along with one or more of the following:

Bank statements for the self employed income and expenditure period, latest tax assessment, invoices and receipts.

If you are newly self employed please tell us the nature of your business and provide an estimate of what your income will be for the first three months. Please show projections and receipts as evidence.

Pension Contributions

Policy document or annual statement showing payments made.

If your pension is paid via your salary and your payslip shows that amount then this is acceptable.

Child Care Costs

Letter from your registered child minder showing the amount you pay for child care costs. This letter should show your child minders registration number.

Letter from after school club.

All evidence must be original documents, photo copied evidence will not be accepted.

Please note that these notes are for guidance, and other evidence may be requested.

You can send your supporting documents to us by post, they will be copied and returned to you. If you bring your documents to the council office they can be copied and handed back to you. If you are unable to visit our offices and need help with the form or evidence please contact us so we can arrange for a benefits visiting officer to come to see you at home.