Council Tax

The following services are available online to make it quick and easy for you to interact with the Council.

Make a Council Tax payment now

Direct DebitTake the hassle out of paying your Council Tax by choosing Direct Debit. Sign up now

Council Tax paid by Direct Debit gives a choice of three payment dates (1st, 10th or 20th of each month). As part of the Direct Debit guarantee you will always be kept informed of any changes to the amount we need to collect.

To pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit please complete the form above. Please have your bank details and Council Tax reference number to hand.

Discounts and Exemptions
Claim a discount or exemption on your Council Tax

Moving homeInform us if you are moving in to or out of a property in Woking

Pay over 12 monthsRequest for your Council Tax to be spread over 12 months instead of 10

Council Tax RefundsRequest a credit on your Council Tax account to be refunded

Request an ArrangementRequest an arrangement for your Council Tax arrears

Council Tax Explanatory Notes

The notes contained on this webpage along with information relating to exemptions, discounts, Council Tax support and Council Tax reductions form part of the Council Tax demand notice.

You can request a hardcopy version of the explanatory notes, which will be provided free of charge. Details of how to contact us are printed on your council tax demand notice.

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is set by local councils to help pay for local services.

Each year, Woking Borough Council is responsible for collecting Council Tax from Borough residents for its own services and those provided by Surrey County Council and the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Surrey. For 2017/2018, the total amount to be collected is 72.3 million of which:

  • 9.2 million is for Woking Borough Council
  • 9.1 million for the Police and Crime Commissioner
  • 54 million for Surrey County Council

What you need to pay

The amount you pay is based upon the property band your home falls in and the level of tax set for each band. Generally, the higher the value of your home, the more you will pay.

The value of your home was assessed by the Valuation Office Agency, not by Woking Borough Council, based on its estimated sale value on 1 April 1991. Your home was valued to establish its relative value compared with other homes. Any changes in property values, up or down, since then cannot be taken into account.

The amounts for each band has been set by the Government and the basic rate is fixed at Band D level. In Woking for 2017/18, the overall tax at Band D is 1,782.83 - an increase of 4.2% over the previous year.

The table below shows the Council Tax level for each band and your bill shows which band applies to your home.

If you live in a Band A property you pay two thirds of the basic rate and if you live in a Band H property you pay twice the basic rate.

Further information regarding Council Tax can be found here.

Council Tax Exemptions, Discounts and Premiums

You are entitled to a discount if you live alone. Other reductions, such as for people on low incomes, may be available.

A 50% premium is added to bills for properties that have been empty and substantially unfurnished for more than 24 months.

Council Tax by Band for 2017/18

Property Values
(1 April 1991)

Surrey County Council Basic

Surrey County Council Adult Social Care Office of Police and Crime Commissioner Woking Borough Council Total Council Tax
40,000 or less A 846.07 41.63


151.14 1,188.55
40,001 to 52,000 B 987.08 48.57 174.67 176.33 1,386.65
52,001 to 68,000 C 1,128.10 55.50 199.62 201.52 1,584.74
68,001 to 88,000 D 1,269.11 62.44 224.57 226.71 1,782.83
88,001 to 120,000 E 1,551.14 76.31 274.47 277.09 2,179.01
120,001 to 160,000 F 1,833.16 90.19 324.38 327.47 2,575.20
160,001 to 320,000 G 2,115.19 104.06 374.28 377.85 2,971.38
320,001 or more H 2,538.22 124.88 449.14 453.42 3,565.66

The increase in the level of charges is set out below. For more information about the charges, please click on the links below. If you would like to receive a hard copy of the financial information held on the Woking Borough Council link below, please provide a request in writing. This information will be provided to you free of charge.

Woking Borough Councils Budget

For 2017/18, the Borough Council has decided to increase Council Tax by 2.23% to 226.71 for a Band D property. This 4.95 increase is equivalent to less than 10 pence per week.

The approach to setting the Budget has been to maintain service outcomes, control costs and strengthen the income base to offset the significant reductions in funding from Central Government.

The Council continues to seek ways to improve the Borough as a place to live, work and visit. Fees and charges for Council services reflect levels of activity and demand.

As well as providing direct services to the Borough's communities, the Council also works with other organisations to deliver its aims and objectives.

In 2017/18, some 1.39 million of support has been allocated to voluntary, community, faith groups and other organisations to enable them to provide services across the Borough.

The Council has a group of subsidiary companies which help to deliver its environmental, energy, affordable housing and economic development objectives. In doing so, these companies generate an estimate 2.2 million benefit to the Council which helps keep Council Tax rises to a minimum and provides services for Borough residents.

The Council also invests in one-off projects to improve facilities and infrastructure within the Borough. Improvements continue to Woking Town Centre and work continues to improve community and recreational facilities across the Borough.

Adult Social Care Authorities

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government has made an offer to adult social care authorities. ("Adult social care authorities" are local authorities which have functions under Part 1 of the Care Act 2014, namely county councils in England, district councils for an area in England for which there is no county council, London borough councils, the Common Council of the City of London and the Council of the Isles of Scilly.)

The offer is the option of an adult social care authority being able to charge an additional "precept" on its council tax for financial years from the financial year beginning in 2016 without holding a referendum, to assist the authority in meeting expenditure on adult social care. Subject to the normal approval of the House of Commons, the Secretary of State intends to offer the option of charging this "precept" at an appropriate level in each financial year up to and including the financial year 2019-20.

For adult social care authorities, council tax demand notices show two percentage changes: one for the part of the overall change attributable to the adult social care precept, and one for the part attributable to general expenditure.

Surrey County Council is the "adult social care authority". Further details about this charge and service can be found on their website.


Decisions regarding valuation and banding are made by the Valuation Office Agency. Details of what action can be taken if you are unhappy with your property valuation band can be found here.If you disagree with a decision made by the Council regarding council tax liability, for example if we determine that you are not entitled to a discount or exemption, you can request for the decision to be looked at again. Please submit any request in writing or by email within one month of the date on the decision letter.

Any request to review a decision will be reviewed by different Officer than made the original decision. You will be notified in writing whether the original decision has changed or not. In some cases, for example where we determine that you do not qualify for a non discretionary discount, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service.